Fourth year of HIPPY
Congratulations to our first enrollment of 2013, Priscilla Rathee, for winning the junior most improved trophy in 2015.
What is HIPPY?
- HIPPY stands for Home Interaction Programme for Parents and Youngsters
- HIPPY helps parents teach their children the skills they need to make a successful start at school
- Tutors, who do HIPPY with their own child, show parents what to do
- Children start HIPPY when they are three and a half to four and a half years old
- Children are encouraged to attend Kindergarten, Playcentre, Kohanga Reo or a language nest while participating in HIPPY as a preschooler, and continue with HIPPY during their first year at school.
How does HIPPY work?
- Each fortnight a tutor visits the parent at home and role plays activities with them. The tutor shows the parent exactly how to teach their child. This takes one hour.
- Every other week the parents attend a Group Meeting with other parents and they learn the new activities together. This takes two hours and includes time for the parents personal development and enjoyment.
- Parents and children work together at home for 15 minutes a day, 5 days a week for 30 weeks of the year, over 2 years.
- The activities are fun and other family members can join in with many of the stories and games.
- HIPPY costs $1/week ($30/year)
Why is HIPPY important?
- HIPPY prepares children to learn to read and write.
- HIPPY teaches children to listen and follow instructions
- HIPPY teaches children early maths concepts and language skills
- HIPPY develops logical thinking and problem solving
From HIPPY Parents ...
- "She is very settled at school, has a lot of confidence, is at the top of her class, she loves school and helping out anyone who needs it."
- "I now have the confidence and know the importance of being involved and supporting my children with schoolwork."
From Classroom teachers ...
- "HIPPY children come ready for school. They have the basic skills that enable them ti begin learning in the school environment sooner."
- "HIPPY gives children an awesome, confident head start."
HIPPY Sylvia Park (Mt Wellington)
Co-ordinating: Ana Manu
Phone: 09 527 6526
Mobile: 021 163 7773
Site Address: Sylvia Park School, 3 Longford Street, Mt Wellington